Owning a new home might be fun, but the road to getting there is often long and tedious. Furthermore, you have quite a lot to do once the purchase is finalised. Taking time to find houses, change mailing addresses, and fill out a lot of paperwork is often draining for new homeowners.
It is easy for home security concerns to slip through the cracks in the middle of everything that’s happening. However, this is one of the most important steps you should take while relocating since new homes tend to be a popular target for burglars.
3 Easy Ways to Secure Your New Home
Follow the steps below to keep your home safe and secure:
1. Install a Home Security System
One of the best ways to ensure that burglars don’t gain entry into your home and protect your home from other unpredictable events like a fire is by installing a home security system. Basic units don’t even require professional installation.
Obviously, the more sophisticated the system, the higher the likelihood that you will require professional assistance to complete the installation. Smart home security systems typically include tools like motion sensors that activate outdoor lighting and various home automation tools such as automatic garage door openers.
2. Use Cameras to Keep an Eye on Your Home
Security cameras add another layer of security for new homes. They are also invaluable in helping you capture thieves such as porch pirates and vandals. Furthermore, they can help you catch potential thieves who are scouting your new home before they actually do any damage.
You can watch your camera’s video feed in real-time to ensure that your house is safe. Professionally installed security camera systems also utilise a recorder that captures video 24/7 and lets you review any events that you might have missed.
3. Rekey Your Exterior Door Locks
One of the most important things that new homeowners must do is to rekey the locks of their front door. This is an important step as you don’t really know how many people might have the keys to your home.
Previous owners, contractors, babysitters, etc., are all people that might have keys to your new house. Rekeying your door locks is an easy way to ensure that none of these people can use their keys to enter your new home.
If rekeying is not an option, you may consider installing smart locks, replacing your door frames, and installing a strike plate, which are all cheap, and highly effective ways to improve security in your new home.
Top 5 Security Products for Your New Home
Here are the top 5 security products you should consider getting for your new home:
- Locks: It might seem obvious to include this, but you might be surprised to learn that many people either don’t have adequate locks on their doors or windows or worse, never use them.
- Cameras: In today’s world, visible cameras can be one of the most effective deterrents for criminals that may be considering breaking into your home.
- Alarms: Alarms can refer to several home security devices. In particular, devices that emit an audible sound of some type when activated. You can also have silent alarms that signal you or a monitoring service in case there’s an issue.
- Sensors: Sensors refer to a wide range of devices that detect some type of change. Sensors usually involve 2 pieces, one that’s stationary and one that triggers the sensor to alert when moved away. Sensors are often used on windows, doors, and other points of access to your home. They send an alert when a glass door or window is opened or the glass breaks.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Every home, even those without additional security should definitely have these devices. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors prevent so many unnecessary injuries and deaths each year.
Protect Your Home with Casey Locksmiths!
Home security should be at the top of your priority list if you have just purchased a new house. Use the tips provided here to secure your new home. Prioritise the ideas for securing your home that is best based on your circumstances and then plan to add more later.
If you have any questions about any of the products and measures discussed here or home security in general, please don’t hesitate to contact Casey Locksmiths. We can provide a security audit for new homeowners to address any concerns.
Please call us today on 0416 161 332 or contact us through our enquiry form.