Losing your car keys can be a frustrating and stressful experience. Not only are you unable to drive your car, but you may also be worried about the cost and time it will take to get a replacement key. However, don’t panic, because there are several steps you can take to find your keys or get a replacement quickly and easily, such as contacting an emergency locksmith. Whether you’ve lost your keys at home, at work, or somewhere in between, this guide will provide you with the information you need to get back on the road as soon as possible.
Check All The Usual Places
Before you start panicking, make sure to check all the places you usually put your keys. This includes your purse, pockets, desk, workspace, and any other places you regularly put your keys. Double-check these places and make sure you didn’t overlook them.
Retrace Your Steps
Think about where you’ve been and when you last had your keys. This can help you remember if you might have left them somewhere or if someone else might have taken them. It’s possible that you might have left your keys in a public place such as a store, restaurant or even in a taxi.
If you’re at work or school, ask your coworkers or classmates if they’ve seen your keys. If you’re at home, ask family members if they’ve seen them. It’s possible that someone might have picked up your keys and returned them to the wrong place.
Look For A Spare Key
Many people keep a spare key somewhere in case they lose their primary key. This could be at home, at work, or with a trusted friend or family member. Make sure to check these places. If you find a spare key, use it to get into your car.
Contact An Emergency Locksmith
If you’ve searched everywhere and still can’t find your keys, an emergency locksmith can help you get into your car. Emergency locksmiths can meet you where you are in a quick and swift manner make you a new key on the spot and try to reconfigure your car door to fit the new key. If your key is broken into the lock, they can also fix this by extracting the broken key and making you a new one.
Call Your Car Dealership
If you have a newer car, you might have an electronic key fob rather than a traditional key. In this case, you’ll need to contact your car dealership to get a replacement. They can program a new key fob for you, but make sure you have the vehicle identification number (VIN) and proof of ownership before you pursue this option.
Call Your Car Insurance Company
Many car insurance policies include coverage for lost keys. Contact your insurance company to see if this is something they cover and how to go about getting a replacement key. This can be a good option if you don’t have a spare key or if you don’t want to pay for an emergency locksmith.
Consider Getting A Smart Lock
If you’re tired of having to worry about losing your keys, you might want to consider getting a smart lock for your car. These locks can be opened using a smartphone app, which means you’ll never have to worry about losing your keys again. Smart locks can also be controlled remotely so that you can lock and unlock your car from anywhere
How Can An Emergency Locksmith Help If You’re Locked Out Of Your Car?
- Unlocking the car door: An emergency locksmith can use specialised tools to open your car door without causing damage to the lock or the door itself. They will be able to unlock the car door quickly and efficiently, allowing you to get back into your car.
- Extracting broken keys: If you try to unlock your car and the key breaks off in the lock, a locksmith can extract the broken key. They will use specialised tools to remove the broken key from the lock, allowing you to use another key to unlock the car.
- Making a new key: If you’ve lost your car keys, an emergency locksmith can make you a new one. They will use specialised tools and equipment to create a new key that will work with your car’s lock. This is especially useful if you don’t have a spare key or if your spare key is also lost.
- Rekeying the lock: If you’re worried about security, an emergency locksmith can rekey the lock on your car. This means that they will change the internal mechanism of the lock so that it works with a new key. This is a good option if you’re worried that someone might have a copy of your old key.
- Ignition repair/replacement: An emergency locksmith can also repair or replace an ignition switch. If your car key won’t turn the ignition, it could be due to a problem with the switch. An emergency locksmith can diagnose the problem and fix it, so you can start your car again.
Keep in mind that some of the services may vary depending on the type of car and the lock technology. An emergency locksmith will usually have the experience and the tools to handle most types of locks and cars, and can usually respond quickly in case of a lockout.
In summary, an emergency locksmith can help if you’re locked out of your car by unlocking the car door, extracting broken keys, making a new key, rekeying the lock, and repairing/replacing the ignition switch, keeping in mind that the services may vary depending on the type of the car and the lock technology.
If you are looking for the best emergency locksmiths in Melbourne for your emergency car key situation, Casey Locksmiths is the preferred choice for all your locking needs.
Please call us today on 0416 161 332 or contact us through our enquiry form.