Electronic door locks are one of the most recent advancements in security technology. Because of this, many people are transitioning from traditional key locks to electronic and smart locks for heightened security in their spaces.
However, while electronic door locks certainly have more advanced benefits than do traditional key locks, they are not exactly foolproof. They can still come with some disadvantages that you should consider – for example, that they can actually be hacked.
So, if you are wondering whether electronic door locks can be hacked, the answer is yes. However, this does not mean that electronic door locks are not effective security measures, as there are ways to protect against situations such as this. If you would like to learn more about this, please continue reading below to learn more about this important subject.
How Smart Locks Can Be Hacked
Compromising traditional locks is more or less straightforward, but with electronic door locks, there are a few more ways that it can be compromised. Here are a few ways that they can be hacked:
- Password hijacking. This situation is more or less the same with password-protected services and devices where anyone who has the password can access it.
- Manufacturer vulnerabilities. Manufacturers are not flawless, and they can be prone to occasional oversights. This can range from having poor features or including insufficient software. This is why it is important to purchase a smart lock that is reliable and reputable.
- Phone theft. Smart locks are controlled with an app. Therefore, if your smartphone is stolen, the culprit can hack your phone, open the app, and hijack your home. Some smart locks can open if they detect the phone nearby, so if the culprit shows up on your doorstep the lock could automatically open.
- Lock removal. It is possible that thieves can physically tamper, remove, or destroy smart locks. However, this is also an applicable disadvantage of traditional locks.
How To Prevent My Smart Lock From Getting Hacked
While it might seem scary that your smart lock could be hacked, there are ways to prevent this from happening, or from reducing the risks of such a situation. Below are just some suggestions to prevent a smart lock from getting hacked:
- Protect your password by choosing a unique password for each of your smart locks. Make sure the password is hard to guess. Additionally, you can change your passcode frequently and avoid sharing it with anyone you do not trust.
- Updating the software frequently is another method to consider. Manufacturers try to outsmart burglars by frequently releasing new software updates. Make sure to download these updates as soon as they are available.
- Try considering an alternative electronic lock. All smart locks are electric, but there are also electric locks that are not smart. This means that they do not rely on Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to operate. Some can operate via a keypad, key fob, or access card. This will help eliminate any risks of hacking.
Should I Still Consider A Smart Lock?
The short answer? Yes! While burglars can outsmart smart locks, there are also no guarantees with traditional locks either. The good news is that smart locks are continuously getting smarter and more secure, so there are many ways by which you can upgrade your home’s security system.
Smart locks are ideal for those that prefer a high-tech home and the convenience that it offers. Additionally, smart locks will be useful for properties that also have a frequent amount of people entering and exiting. Locking your door remotely and sharing access can allow you to have control over this.
As such, the best thing to do is really just to weigh up the pros and cons. This will depend on what you are looking for and how secure you want your space to be.
In summary, smart locks can be hacked. However, there are ways to prevent this from happening, all of which just simply calls on you to be more cautious and vigilant with how you take care of your security system. It is important to weigh up the pros and cons so that you will fully understand if a smart lock is the right lock for you.
If you find yourself needing professional locksmith services, Casey Locksmiths is the preferred choice for all your locking needs in Melbourne.
Please call us today on 0416 161 332 or contact us through our enquiry form.